All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By Darbbb
In the classifieds I am advertising my Airborne Sting-R for sale. I had email contact from someone named "Charles Mogul," expressing an interest. After the initial contact, I got this email this morning:

"Good to hear back from you, i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project, i am at sea right now so i wont be able to check it am buying this for my brother as a surprise gift so am willing to offer you the amount you requested, i insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online and i don't have internet banking too, but i can pay from my PayPal account as i have my bank a/c attached to it, all i will need is your PayPal email address to make the payment, and if you don't have a PayPal account yet, i will suggest you set one up at www.paypal.com it will not take you more than 3 mins to do that, i will be expecting your PayPal email so that i will make payment, i have a pick-up agent that will come for the pick-up they will also determine and secure the shipment once payment has been sorted, i will also need your full name and phone number."

Of course, this has every earmark of a scam. I just wanted to warn others to be careful of "Charles Mogul."

BB

By sg
:roflcat:

Wow, he is really bad at this. SO MANY red flags.
By thermaleo
Here's one I received. I was tempted to string him along but - naaah.

Leo Jones

>>>charles mogul <cmogulxx07@gmail.com>
Feb 2 at 3:30 PM
Hello,

Q#1. How long have you owned it?
Q#2. a) Have you owned it from new? If not how many previous owner?
Q#3.Why are you selling it?
Q#4. In your opinion, what sort of conditions it?
Q#5. Any more available photo?
Q#6. How much are you asking for it?
Q#7. Do you accept a (Pay Pal)as a mode of payment.

Regards<<<
By lizzard
Usually these are bots and only become human when u respond .
Do not respond as there are many ways the human criminals can take your response .

Vulnerability is very unlikely in the hg community but you can bet they do their homework .

A friend of mine was sucked in and did the string along thing knowing that it was a scam ...they got him to fax his details which he did (false of course) but the fax seemed to take forever to send ...his fax acount came and it was 120 bucks ....lucky he made time to fight it ..corporate's would not notice this .

there are many way these #$%wits can scam our lazy and insecure systems .

Some corporate entities are making mistakes ,not in our favour that need lots of phone time to fix and I wonder sometimes ??
By thermaleo
"Dear Abby,
Ever since I was small child I have been wanting to fly. Birds and airplanes fascinated me, and I am longing to be a pilot. Then I saw hang gliding on TV and I am hooked. I was determined to become hang gliding pilot and soar with birds. Sadly, I have found it to be impossible for buying a hang glider, as I live in Nigeria. There are no hang glider corporations here, and I cannot afford the new glider, so I must try to buy a used glider already used,( maybe even slightly torn), sight unseen from sellers overseas. This seems simple to do, I see plenty of ads and I have Pay Pal account all set up, and even brother in laws in America who are collecting items for me, but no seller will take me seriously when I contact them. What can I do?"

"Grounded in Gombe"

Today was a 'double black diamond' day. A few sky[…]

Found some details about the Lark2, Bobcat2, Kes[…]

Poll on latest USHPA Proposal

Proposal won 58% to 42%. I hope this doesn't accel[…]

My Weekend Flys pt2

Nice. :thumbsup: Coastal flying has always been […]